Sunday, October 21, 2012

Books, Books and More Books


I don't know any homeschool family that isn't obsessed with books.  We get gitty around libraries and bookstores.   Book shopping can become a social event.  We share favorite books as our status on facebook (and yes, Annette I'm talking about you!)  Books are the key to what we do every day in our choice to educate our children, so the more books we surround ourselves with the happier we feel.  

Recently I spent 4 days visiting an old friend from college.  We are kindred spirits when it comes to books.  In fact, that is one of the only things we have in common!  People often are puzzled by our relationship because we are as different as night and day.....but after 20+ years we still enjoy drinking coffee, sharing our favorite books and browsing around dusty old bookstores together.

 On this last trip I filled my suitcase with books I found for $.25 at  various yard sales and bookshops.  My hope is to snuggle up with my boys and read these aloud before bed each night. 




 And are you familiar with Little Pear?  My friend Kristen told us about him last year and I put him on my list of books to read.  Had I known back then what a true treasure he is, I might have read him right away to the boys.   Instead we waited until this fall to coordinate with a unit on China that we are doing.  Little Pear is such a delight that it's difficult for us to put him down.  However......there are many books by this author and our plan is to tackle each one.   (please forgive me as I talk about my books as if they are friends....as we read that is exactly what they become!)



 Were you a fan of the Hunger Games?  To be honest, I was and I wasn't.  I enjoyed the first one (kind of) and actually read it in one day.  But I never read past the first book.   However, I really really liked the movie.  It's kind of put me in the mood for futuristic type novels.  So I just finished this book, Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'brien.   I read this in in less than 3 days.   It was fascinating!  I can't exactly say that I loved it, but I was so intrigued that I could barely put it down.   One night I actually couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the story line.......  And so, I'll be honest now and admit I started Catching Fire today (sequel to the Hunger Games).  I need to be ready for the second movie when it comes out.



 And this stack?   It's my 7 year old's stack of library books.  He checked out 8 books yesterday and has already plowed through 2 of them.   They are silly little chapter books about a mouse that solves mysteries.  He's also in the middle of Frindle by Andrew Clements and Wagon Wheels, my mom's 4th grade reader.  


And what's on my kindle these days? 

A Room of My Own by Ann Tatlock.   Have you read her books?  Fabulous! Thank you Annette for this wonderful recommendation!

Or if you want a good mystery-I'm loving Cheryl Bradshaw these days.  Her Sloan Monroe books are quick and easy reads. 

I would love to know what you all are reading!  I'm always looking for new authors for me or the boys.  So please share.




3 comments:

Annette W. said...

Loved this post and hour passion for books. That is my next Ann Tatlock book to read. Another author for you to try...Cathy Gohlke.

I also have a friend who id SO different from me...but we're always friends.

Kristen said...

Fun post!! Henry likes Geronimo Stilton books too. If you're interested, they are on CD as well, fun for the car. Another series we just discovered is called Once Upon America - those are been pretty good so far. Only read a few.

http://www.librarything.com/series/Once%20Upon%20America

Have you read The Night Circus? It's different, but I really liked it.

I didn't realize that you hadn't read all the Hunger Games. You're the only reason I read the first one (as you know) and I'm glad I did!

I, sadly, don't make enough time to read much. But you'll have to recommend the books you really really love (to me), so I can add them to my list!

Kristy said...

I'm giving away a really cool book on my blog right now...I think you would like it. The Sparkle Box... and it comes with a sparkle box:) If you are interested leave a comment on my blog... drawing names on Friday.
www.adaywithmygrays.blogspot.com